Jan 27, 2009

A Prayer of Thanksgiving for my Vicarage

This past Sunday my congregation had its first semi-annual meeting to get a lot of business sorted out at the beginning of the year. While these are absolutely necessary I must admit that frankly, I hate meetings, especially where there are over 100 (well meaning, but opinionated) people. They are often long, tedious, and make me pray ever more diligently for Christ's immediate return.
At this meeting, however, one of the major decisions that had to be approved, was my call and support to be Grace Lutheran's Vicar. Vicar? Yes, an odd term I admit. It's latin and generally means in the stead of - and in Lutheran parlance, it means I am a seminarian in training for the pastorate and am working under the direction of another pastor. Grace has not supported a vicar or seminarian since the early 70's! So this was a big deal for her. Thankfully, my pastor did a wonderful job presenting the need for the position, my qualifications, and more importantly this as an opportunity for the church. Thankfully, this also means paying my tuition at Concordia. Unlike the nomral seminarian routes within our synod, which offer just a year long vicarage in the 3rd year of seminary, I will be serving a 4 year vicarage in one parish concurrently with my studies. This is still a relatively new practice, but one that I think has tremendous advantage for the local body of Christ. In this position, I will have opportunity to:
  • Preach regularly
  • Lead in the Liturgy and prayers in various services
  • Teach Bible studies and Catechism classes in a variety of settings, including our school children where I hope to lead the weekly chapel as my schedule permits
  • Strategize with the pastor and board of elders on matters of spiritual growth and discipleship
  • Work with young couples in their pre-marriage classes
  • And generally, learn from my mentor whom I'm serving under, Rev. John Bombaro, who is both a great pastor and biblical scholar

For all of this I am grateful to my parish for their confidence, and thankful to God for this calling. I pray he would strengthen me for the days ahead, grant me understanding and wisdom as I continue my studies and minister to his people. And may I never forget that this calling is not deserved or a right that I am entitled to, it is a position of servanthood to be lived out in humble submission to the true Shepherd of souls, Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: