Jan 21, 2009

The Trinity and Humanity - Extract by Chester

I gave a brief talk to our parish school teachers a few months back entitled, The Doctrine of the Trinity: Relationships that Matter, which I was going to post in full, but I realized that my notes would be fairly incoherent and require a rewrite. Instead, I thought I would link an extract of a chapter by Tim Chester in his book, Delighting in the Trinity, which focuses on a very good application of understanding the Trinity (and which I heavily borrowed from).

In short, he argues that personhood has largely been misunderstood (falling prey to Greek thought rather than the Biblical truth). He states that our relationships largely define us as people in light of the Trinity. The Father is the Father because he has a Son. The Son is a Son because he has a Father and so on. When we diminish these relationships, we are sinning and dehumanizing ourselves. Great pastoral application points that I would never have considered. Highly worth 30 minutes of your time.


PDF: The Trinity and Humanity by Tim Chester

No comments: