Mar 27, 2009

An Answer to Prayer?

As part of my vicarage I wear a clerical shirt/collar when I am acting in a ministerial capacity at church or on visitations. It's taken a bit to get used to, especially when you are out and about. But I generally support the idea of a pastoral uniform for a number of reasons I won't go into here. But this past week's experience has solidified it even more.

One of our elders had a minor heart problem on Sunday morning and I went with my pastor and another parishoner after worship to visit him in the hospital and pray with him. This is a fairly normal occurence for us, because our church is 100 years old and we have a lot of elderly folks we care for at Grace Lutheran. While I was waiting in the emergency room lobby to leave a woman in tears approached me and asked me if I had time to go see her dying mother and the family members by her bedside. She said that they had not yet explained to her mom that she would likely die (and very soon at that), but thought that I could speak with her and pray with her. They had attempted to make contact with her pastor, but he had not returned the call yet, and time was not on her side.


What else could I say but yes? But I must admit that as I walked back into the emergency room I became extremely nervous. I have very little experience in such matters. The hospital bedside is not my normal idea of a pulpit, but it became one nonetheless, inexperience aside. I went through the curtain and found the room full of old and young family members with lowered heads and downcast eyes; all expecting me to bring comfort and encouragment. I softly held the elderly woman's hand and reminded her that God in his goodness sent his Son Jesus Christ to die for the sins of the world and rose again three days later to defeat sin, Satan, and death for all who believe. I asked her if she believed this? She did! I then prayed, thanking God for this woman's faith and asked him to bring her and the family the comfort of knowing this good message and to strengthen their faith in the same.


Was this enough? It didn't seem like it. But then I remembered that on his death bed, Karl Barth said that the most profound thing he had ever learned in his life was, "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so." I did get this across, so maybe it was enough, even for a lowly inexpereienced Lutheran vicar. As I left, the daughter hugged me and expressed her thanks through tear-stained cheeks. She said that she had been praying for something or someone to bring some releif to her mother and family. And here's where I got teary-eye'd. "I knew when I saw you in the lobby - you were the answer to my prayer."


How can you respond to such a statement, but to thank God? I mention this story because the only reason I had this opportunity in the first place was because I was wearing the collar. May God grant this family comfort amidst their trials and may my bedside preaching only get better with time. Amen.

No comments: